Wednesday 17 October 2012

Entry #2

Sri Lanka 2010

I've visited Sri Lanka many times. Drove through many places, stopped for black tea at some and appams at others. The last time I was there was two years ago. Colombo was not exciting at all, it was stuck in the 90's and immersed in a dirty cloud of exhaust fumes.   

Tassles, our driver, listened to depressing music. He probably missed his wife. We were on our way to Nelliadi, from Colombo. We stopped at a house. A bearded man came to greet my dad. We were taken into a small, shabby room, double bed, dirty pillows and a desk. My dad told us that we were staying here for the night and that he was going to sleep at his friends, just down the road. He told me to ask the bearded man for anything I needed. 

Freya and I sat there. The bearded man knocked on our door, told us where the toilets were and left. The toilets are separate to the main house, usually tucked away in the garden. The garden was also home to a classroom. Blackboard, chalk and desks. I found this scribbled on one of the desks.



The bearded man turned out to be lovely. He had a wife and 2 children. We had spent the night in Vavuniya, my dad never explained why.